Monday, February 23, 2009

My Uninformed Opinion-Oscars Edition

So here is my rant regarding the Oscars that bugs me every year.
One of these years I am going to get into a prize oriented Oscar pool. The basic plan I would go with is that any leading actor/actress that is playing in a biographical film is going to be the front runner.

Lets go to the history:

Julia Roberts- Erin Brockevich '00
Marcia Gay Harden- Pollock '00
Jennifer Conally - A Beautiful Mind '01
Nicole Kidman - The Hours (Virginia Woolf) '02
Charlize Theron- Monster '03
Jamie Foxx - Ray '04
Cate Blanchet - The Aviator '04
Phillip Seymour Hoffman- Capote '05
Reese Witherspoon- Walk the Line '05
Forest Whitaker- The Last King of Scotland (Idi Amin) '06
Helen Mirren-The Queen '06
Marion Cottilard - La Vie en Rose (Edith Piaf) '07
Sean Penn - Milk '08

Granted, I haven't seen either performance, but I can't help but think that having a role as a real-life politically correct hero put Sean Penn over Mickey Rouke's fictional character.

I'm seeing something of an objective bias in the academy despite their pleas of artistic subjectivity.

No comments: