Thursday, October 13, 2005

Not The Desired Synergy

Can I be the only one who sees the potential for technology that would allow the new Apple Video I-Pod and Digital Video Recorders (TiVo et al.) to develop in the very near future? While Apple may promise pristine downloads of the videos, that is the same promise that digital cable companies and satellite providers make. Commercial free? I doubt that the I-Pod would lack the ability to fast forward.

DVR's already offer the ability to download to video tape. Combine that with existent digital conversion tools, save it to the format (which will be the first hack someone would have to come up with for this scheme to work if the I-Pod uses a proprietary format) on which the I-Pod saves video.

Of course, this is all going to take a bunch of savvy that the average person who will buy the I-Pod would possess. But that's the beauty of the internet, it allows you to partake in someone else's genius.

Update: Point made, take a look at the first comment. I had forgotten about the PSP playing recorded video. Any word on how the pictures compare? Would it be more worthwhile for someone who already has an I-Pod to shell out for the video model or to get the PSP and play games to boot?

No comments: