Monday, May 23, 2005

Is It Extraordinary When You Can See It Coming?

First of all, I am really pissed that the Senate has reached a compromise regarding the judicial "filibuster". Personally, I think that the nation is better off when the government can't get anything done. Does anyone know of a way to filibuster the Executive Branch? Some of those regulatory agencies need at least a few months off work.

From the CNN article, I can't see what each side is gaining from this agreement. Near as I can tell, the Republicans got a solemn promise from the Democrats to play nice from here on, saving the big guns for when it is really important.
Under the deal, judicial nominees would only be filibustered "under extraordinary circumstances," McCain said.

Hmm, what are the chances that the nomination of a new Chief Justice would count as an extraordinary circumstance? Bring it on, I say, I'm just waiting for the promised gridlock.

No comments: