Monday, March 21, 2005

A Caveat for Our Times

Looking back at the last post, I realized that the last line about re-thinking my "no heroic measures" instructions would be sufficient to completely nullify any effort I have made to notify my friends and family of my wishes. I don't have any formal written instructions signed and notarized and what-not, only my verbal communications to them. The post expressed doubt, and with doubt in written form, therefore it would be enough to allow someone to say that I might have changed my mind, and therefore, they ought to err on the side of caution and keep me "alive".

So, for the record, if I am in a situation where either my body is rendered unable to function beyond circulation and respiration, or my mind becomes irrecoverable due to cerebral trauma, then I desire no articial means be used to prolong my life.

I'll let the appropriate people know if that changes. In writing.

No comments: