Monday, February 28, 2005

Different Strategy = Different Results

I don't think that I have ever read a clearer refutation of the past twenty years of "change your attitude or we'll issue yet another sternly-worded condemnation" international affairs. Via Vodkapundit we get a Reuters report with a very telling quote:

Syrian President Bashar al-Assad said he thought Washington might eventually resort to military action against his country.

"Washington has imposed sanctions on us and isolated us in the past, but each time the circle hasn't closed around us," Assad told Italy's Repubblica newspaper.

"If, however, you ask me if I'm expecting an armed attack, well I've seen it coming since the end of the war in Iraq."

If I have read between the lines correctly, isn't President Bashar saying that Syria was able to shrug off sanctions and diplomatic isolation, yet the one threat that might have gotten his attention was never even brought up.

Much in the way that we got Qaddafi's attention, the Iraq invasion has put a whole new definition to "... or else". Or was that the old definition? You know, the one that we used before we got all enlightened.

No comments: